About United Way of Southern Chester County (UWSCC)
We are a small United Way, but a mighty one! A three-person employee team and 27 dedicated board members are committed to serving the needs of people living in southern Chester County. Based in Kennett Square, PA, UWSCC intimately knows our community and its needs. We mobilize the caring power and resources of our community to raise and distribute funds to nonprofit programs with health and human service agendas; to provide local nonprofit agencies with needed financial, professional, and strategic support; to build coalitions and inspire volunteerism; and to ensure that contributions fund programs that effectively move people from crisis to independence. All the monies raised here, stays here. Over the last 75 years, we have given out $20 million to help individuals in our community. Our annual fundraising objective exceeds $1 million with the majority of funds provided by individual donors across our community.
Purpose of Position:
The Development Director position is responsible for establishing and strengthening donor relationships in order to allow the advancement of the mission of UWSCC. The strategic objective of this position is to effectively segment and understand existing and potential donors (~26,000 people) resulting in a tailored value proposition by segment to build loyalty.
- Identify, cultivate and engage prospective donors and existing donors.
- Create and implement a prospect research and segmented prospect management strategy for targeted donors.
- Develop and deliver tailored communications to explain our value proposition to segmented donor groups.
- Partner with CEO and Board Marketing Chair to develop and implement new and creative marketing activities that effectively attract new donors and strengthen existing donor relationships.
- Work with CEO and Board Campaign Chair to develop innovative strategies to prospect, cultivate, solicit and grow leadership donors, including Alexis de Tocqueville Society members.
- Evaluate and monitor campaign progress with a primary focus on high net-worth prospects and donors and identifying potential problems and solutions.
- Manage donor recognition in coordination with CEO and volunteer leadership.
- Support coordination and participation of fundraising events with special attention to events targeting high net-worth prospects and donors.
- Tap into volunteers’ skills, knowledge, and relationships to implement campaign practices and strategies.
- Maximize the effectiveness of donor database to maintain accurate and up-to-date records, including preferred contact information for leadership donors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least four (4) years of experience and demonstrated success in nonprofit development/fundraising/marketing or related field required.
- Technical marketing experience with:
- segmentation methodologies that will enable UWSCC to define and establish donor “groupings”
- communication strategies and techniques to reach identified donors
- Strong relationship-building skills (e.g., sales/business development, fundraising or external customer service). Established track record of successful relationships with high net-worth individuals.
- Excellent knowledge of social media platforms and their marketing value.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Effective in a variety of communication settings (e.g., one-on-one telephone, email and in-person; small and large groups).
- Ability to relate comfortably with people across cultural, socioeconomic and geographic spectrums. Builds constructive relationships with people both similar and different to themselves.
- Demonstrated skills using Windows-based tools, including Internet browsers, e-mail, word processing, as well as spreadsheet, database, and presentation software.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Outstanding critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Commitment to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- Ability to work well in a small-team environment.
- Must be able to commute daily to Kennett Square office and periodically travel within southern Chester County.
This position is a full-time (40 hours per week) position offering a competitive salary ($50,000 - $55,000) and benefits, including medical, retirement and paid vacation/holidays. Relocation not provided.
United Way of Southern Chester County is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identify, protected veteran status, or any other classification protects by federal, state, or local law.
Cover letters and resumes can be sent to UWSCCjobs@gmail.com.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.